Subject: Re: Why does c.o clear BSS? It's not needed!!
From: [email-masked] (Lauri Aalto)
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 1994 13:24:48 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.programmer

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Mike Farren) writes:
>[email-masked] (Lauri Aalto) writes:
>
>>Boris Folgmann <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>Why does c.o clear BSS? In the AutoDoc for InternalLoadSeg() you find:
>
>>It's an undocumented feature (CLEAR bit on AllocMem()). Some programs rely on
>>this, so it hasn't been dropped. 
>
>Pardon me?  MEMF_CLEAR is hardly "undocumented" - it's been there for a
>long, long time.

Sorry for any inconvience I may have caused... I meant that the bss hunk
clearing with AllocMem()'s CLEAR bit set while allocating memory for the
hunks is undocumented. That's why most of the C compilers clear the bss
hunks in a loop before actually using them. 

      (__)    Lauri Aalto
    w \@@/    [email-masked]
     `/v/-e   2:228/406.2@fidonet
    _/  \_    ...Intel inside--idiot outside...